Reintegration Assistance for Voluntary Return
In addition to the General Humanitarian Return Programme, IOM Vienna implements reintegration projects for voluntary returnees in their countries of origin. The projects aim to assist voluntary returnees to restart their lives through the provision of socio-economic assistance.
Project participants receive individual in-kind reintegration assistance, such as
- Information about the project and the expected conditions in the country of origin prior to the departure
- Counselling by IOM staff members in the country of origin
- Education and vocational training
- Job placement and wage substitution
- Support to start up or expand a small business (development of a business plan, purchase of tools and supplies, etc.)
The measures financed by IOM emphasize income generating activities in order to enable returnees to live an independent life. Furthermore, the projects take the needs of vulnerable returnees into account, e.g. through the provision of medical care.
All project activities are monitored by IOM staff to ensure that the project meets the beneficiaries' short and long-term needs.
IOM implements these projects in close cooperation with the Austrian Federal Ministry of the Interior, local authorities and Austrian return counselling institutions.
In recent years, IOM Vienna has implemented various reintegration projects together with local IOM missions and implementing partners in Afghanistan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Kosovo, Moldova, Nigeria, Pakistan and the Russian Federation / Chechen Republic. In addition, IOM supports specific groups of returnees, such as trafficked persons and unaccompanied minors.